Keeping Away Those Cavity Monsters
Halloween makes some parents truly frightened—not about witches and ghosts, but about the overflowing bags of sugary treats their little boys and ghouls will stockpile.
Help your trick-or-treaters prevent cavities by considering the following five cavity-fighting Halloween tips:
• Drink more water when eating candy and swish it around the mouth to lessen the amount of time the sugar lingers on the teeth.
• Eat the candy immediately after meals rather than just “grazing” on candy sporadically. More saliva is produced during a meal, which means better neutralizing of acids and rinsing away of food particles.
• Chew gum – sugar free, that is. Chewing sugarless gum also also helps stimulate saliva to neutralize bacteria.
• Try to avoid super gooey/chewy candy like taffy, caramel and nougat. They linger longer on the teeth and increase the risk for decay.
• Donate your extra candy to a local shelter or food pantry.
Happy Halloween from all of us at Williamsburg Dental!