Patients often ask us why, despite lots of brushing, their smiles still appear discolored or dull. The truth is that a number of factors can affect the color of our teeth, including these most common culprits:
1. Genetics – tooth color sometimes runs in the family. Blame mom or dad! (we do for everything else, right?).
2. Coffee and tea are known offenders, as well as red wine, soda and sports drinks with artificial flavoring.
3. Nicotine isn’t just bad for your health; it leaves brown surface stains on your teeth.
4. Age – As we get older, our tooth enamel thins, creating a yellowing effect.
5. Tetracycline – If your mother took tetracycline during the second half of her pregnancy, or you took these antibiotics as a child before age eight, the result could be permanently stained teeth.
The good news is that Williamsburg Dental offers many safe ways to aesthetically improve your smile. Zoom!™ is a simple office procedure that produces brilliantly white smiles. We also offer take-home teeth whitening kits with long-lasting results. If you’re also looking to change the shape and size of your teeth, or if, for some reason, the superficial stains on your teeth don’t seem to respond to tooth whitening, porcelain veneers are another option. Not sure which smile enhancement method is best for you? Call us today to arrange a complimentary consultation.